Forum Topic

Help needed from local residents please.

My name is Janet Humphrey. I have reached the final of a competition which may give my brother and I a chance to take our Father Stan Ball to Gallipoli. You may be aware that 2016 is the 101st year since the Gallipoli campaign was started.My Granddad Ball  (Stanley Arthur William) was born and raised in South London, lived in Eltringham Street Wandsworth, and was married on Christmas Day 1925 at the St Johns Hill Church.He joined the City of London Royal Fusiliers regiment. He had already served in the regular army as a member of  2RF between 14 July 1898 and 29 October 1910. 2RF served in India and Burma, we were told by the Fusiliers Museum in London. He was quite a bit older than others who were asked to join up for the war.He rejoined the army on 8th September 1914 so he wasn't in the first flood of returning reservists. He served in Britain (Home) between 9 September 1914 and 9 May 1915, he then went to join the 2RF again this time in Gallipoli, he remained with them until 12th July 1915, where he earned the Star Medal. He was wounded, there but joined his comrades in France, which lasted from 22 September 1915 to 25 October 1915 he was wounded (a bullet wound in the back) which along with his other injuries lead to his death from untreated gangrene in 1950.My father Stan grew up around Wandsworth, and my granddad was treated at St John Hospital Wandsworth, and after the war he trained and worked as a nurse, partly in repayment for the wonderful kindness he was shown. .We have organised a pledge page below, which gives a lot of extra detail on our pledge, and there is a personal message on there as well from my dad, to potential voters explaining why a vote for our pledge would make such a difference to him.https://www.facebook.com/Discoveryuk-MYWBpledge2016-1513515848952030/?ref=hlVoting closes at midnight on the 29th February 2016 but the more publicity we could get now, the more chance we have of winning. Please vote for "Janet Oxfordshire" as one of your three votes, and support a local WW1 soldier's son. Thank you http://www.discoveryuk.com/pledges/vote-now-2/

janet humphrey ● 2986d0 Comments