Most burglaries tend to be opportunistic rather than planned
While Wandsworth Police are taking action to target and arrest those responsible for burglary, we remind home owners to take some simple measures which can further reduce the chance of them becoming a victim of burglary.
Most burglaries tend to be opportunistic rather than planned. So if your home does not look secure, seems unlived in, or provides unobserved access, it could be at risk. Understanding what burglars look for when choosing their target will help you identify weak spots in your home's security.
10 Top Tips:
• Mark or etch your property with your postcode, house or flat number or the first three letters of your house name.
• Register items with a serial number at: www.immobilise.com
• Do not leave your car keys or ID documents near doors, letterbox or windows.
• Always check who’s at the door and don’t open it if you feel anxious.
• Close and lock all your doors and windows, even if you are only going out for a few minutes.
• Keep your valuables out of sight.
• Leave some lights on if it will be dark before you get home.
• Install a visible burglar alarm.
• Always keep sheds and outbuildings locked.
• Cancel milk or other deliveries if you will be away for days or weeks at a time.
For more advice and information please visit www.met.police.uk/crimeprevention/burglary or contact your local Safer Neighbourhoods team by visiting www.met.police.uk or by calling 101.
April 13, 2012