Investigation starts after two new Underground trains collide
Concerns over safety on London Underground have been raise after two tube trains hit each other in an incident earlier this month. The collision happened on the District Line between East Putney and Southfields stations and caused minor damage to carriages.
London Underground's (LU) District Line manager manager Kevin Bootle said the accident was caused by a "very slight movement of the tracks." The two trains have been temporarily withdrawn from service during investigations.
Mr Bootle, said there were no injuries in the collision on 1 May, and that: "The safety of our customers and staff is our top priority and we apologise for the limited disruption this may have caused,".
In a letter to LU staff Mr Bootle wrote: "LU engineers are now working to modify the track to ensure that this incident is not repeated. As a precaution other areas on the branch were checked with no other issues found."
Acting general secretary for the RMT union, Mick Cash, said: "We share the sense of relief that no passengers or staff were injured as a result. However, the incident once again shines the spotlight on the cuts to track inspections and maintenance at LU."
May 12, 2014