£10,000 reward is offered for crucial information
Victim Piotr Woroneicki was from Poland
Detectives investigating the murder of Piotr Woroneicki - who was killed near Clapham Junction one-year ago to the day - continue to appeal for information and witnesses.
Detective Chief Inspector Mark Cranwell, who is leading the investigation into Piotr’s murder, said, “It has been a year since Piotr’s body was found on the street at Parma Crescent, and whilst we are making headway in the investigation, we still want to hear from anyone who saw Piotr in the days before his death, or knows anything about who killed him or their motive for doing so.”
A reward of up to £10,000 is being offered by the independent charity Crimestoppers for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for Piotr’s murder. To give information and qualify for the reward contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through the online form at crimestoppers-uk.org
Police were called at 5.20am on 23 November 2017, to reports of a man found unresponsive on Parma Crescent; however they believe the man died some hours before.
Officers and the London Ambulance Service attended and the victim was pronounced dead at the scene. He was formally identified as 32-year-old Piotr Woroneicki, from Poland.
A special post-mortem examination held in July gave the cause of death as compression to the neck, consistent with the victim being held in a headlock for a prolonged period. Following the post-mortem result, the case was handed to DCI Mark Cranwell from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command.
DCI Cranwell adds, “Piotr was last seen alive at11.32pm on Wednesday 22 November 2017 at New Covent Garden Market where he appeared to be in reasonably good spirits. He was found by a member of the public at 5am on 23 November, some hours later, in Parma Crescent which is approximately three miles in distance from New Covent Garden Market.
“A large quantity of Class A drugs and close to £100,000 in cash was found in Piotr’s flat which leads us to believe he may have been involved in some form of criminality and that his death may be linked to an organised crime syndicate; however this has not yet been proven.
“I still want to hear from anyone who may have seen Piotr that night or knows anything about why he was killed.”
Detectives have previously released CCTV footage of numerous attempted break-ins at Piotr’s address on Clapham Common Northside. Neighbours had told police that at close to Midnight two males gained entry to the communal area of the house. CCTV was obtained by attending officers, however it did not show whether the two men entered the victim's apartment or not. The CCTV showed them leaving the communal area shortly after entering.
At 3.23am the next day - Thursday, 23 November and the day Piotr's body was discovered - two suspects with a set of keys tried to gain entry to the communal area of the house. However following the attempted break-in from the night before, the locks had been changed and the suspects could not enter the building. It is unknown if they are the same people who tried to enter the building just before midnight on 22 November.
On Friday, 24 November, three more attempts were made to break into the building:
- At 1.49am two men gained entry to the building and access was gained to the flat.
- At 7.37am the two suspects returned and gained entry to the communal area of the building only.
- At 11.10pm to 11.18pm, the two men returned and once again gained entry to the communal area of the building.
On all five occasions, the suspects appear to differ in descriptions. Officers are keeping an open mind as to whether different people tried to enter the property.
Anyone with any information is asked to call the incident room number on 020 8721 4054.
November 23, 2018