Calling employees at Potterton Boilers Wandsworth
Sheila Higgins is appealing for witnesses to come forward to help with her late husband’s asbestos related disease claim. Sadly Roger Higgins died from mesothelioma, a terminal cancer of the lining of the lung linked to past asbestos exposure. Roger died aged 67 on 17 April 2014 after a lengthy career as an independent financial advisor.
Roger came into contact with asbestos dust and fibres during the 1960’s when he worked at Potterton Boilers in Wansdworth (now Baxi Heating (UK) Ltd). Roger worked in the laboratories and on the factory floor and asbestos was used in the boiler chimneys and boiler linings. Sheila is appealing for anyone to come forward who has knowledge or information on the asbestos used in the boilers during the 1960’s.
Sheila, pictured left with Roger said:
“I have been devastated at losing my husband, who was previously fit and healthy, up until his diagnosis only 8 weeks before his death. Roger passed away at St. Julias’s Hospice, Hayle, Cornwall on 17 April 2014, leaving behind three step-daughters and five step-grandchildren of ages 7 – 20, three of whom live in Australia and two in Surrey.
She continued: “The news that Roger’s death is linked to past asbestos exposure is very shocking as he had a very successful career as an independent financial advisor in Weybridge, Surrey. Roger started his own business in 2005, Roger Higgins & Partners, Independent Financial Advisors and we moved from Weybridge, Surrey to Cornwall in 2008. Roger retired in 2011 and only managed to enjoy three years of retirement before his untimely death.
“I would ask anybody who worked at Potterton Boilers to come forward as any information you can provide about the working practices and the presence of asbestos would be greatly appreciated”
Sheila has instructed Helen Grady, who specialises in mesothelioma cases at Novum Law to help. Helen said: “Mesothelioma is a very cruel disease linked to past exposure to asbestos dust and microscopic fibres. It would appear that the only time Roger was exposed to asbestos dust was back in the 1960’s whilst working for Potterton Boilers where asbestos was clearly used in the making of these boilers. However, this was still at a time when the dangers of asbestos inhalation would have been known and Roger should have been provided with warnings and adequate protection.
“Mesothelioma is a particularly devastating disease killing over 2500 people in the UK each year. Most people who develop mesothelioma will be disappointed with the treatment available to them. Only research investment will change that and 50,000 are likely to die of the disease in the UK over the next 30 years. This is something we desperately need to prioritise.”
If anyone has any information on Potterton Boilers then please contact Helen Grady on Freephone 0800 884 0555 or by email email@example.com.
We have approcahed Baxi for comment and will add as soon as available.
April 10, 2015