Three Guilty Of Violent Robbery and Kidnapping In Wandsworth

"Mr Hall was subjected to a terrifying ordeal at the hands of these violent criminals"

Three men have been convicted for a violent robbery and kidnapping in Wandsworth. Martin Dias, age 29, and Derwen Ellis, 30, were charged with robbery and kidnap and were found guilty at Kingston Crown Court last week. Arron Miller, 21, previously pleaded guilty to kidnapping and robbery. On February 1st 2011, at approximately 22.30 hrs, the victim, 49 year old Niall Hall was attacked by three men in Bridge Lane.

Mr Hall had just parked his car when he was approached by the men, one of whom was carrying a knife. He was then forced back into his vehicle and driven to a lock-up building.

In the lock-up he was subjected to a prolonged ordeal. During the attack Mr Hall sustained a fractured eye socket as well as multiple cuts and bruises. His watch and wallet were stolen and he was forced to provide the pin number for his bank cards.

Two of the attackers left the lock up and at 23.45 hrs money was withdrawn from Mr Hall's bank account.

Mr Hall was finally driven by the suspects, in his own car, to Cheyne Walk, SW3 where he was released, this was approximately three hours after he was first kidnapped. The defendants then drove off in Mr Hall's car.

Shortly after he managed to flag down some help and was taken to Chelsea and Westminster
Hospital where police were called.

A team of detectives from Wandsworth robbery squad launched an investigation which involved the viewing of hundreds of hours of CCTV evidence, house to house enquires and forensic examination of the scenes.

The investigations lead to the identification of Dias and Ellis. Detectives identified Miller after he used Mr Hall's mobile phone to make a call shortly after the offence had occurred.

Officers eventually linked these suspects to the offence through the CCTV evidence, forensics and data obtained from the suspect's phones.On March 3rd 2011 Miller and Ellis were arrested at their home addresses on suspicion of kidnapping and robbery and on 4 March 4th Dias was arrested.

Detective Inspector, Darren Hassard, the Senior Investigating Officer from Wandsworth Robbery Squad, said: "Mr Hall was subjected to a terrifying ordeal at the hands of these violent criminals and I am pleased with the result today. I hope that this verdict will allow him to put this matter behind him and move on from this horrific episode.

"This group used serious violence and intimidation to extract bank details from the victim and I am glad they have been removed from the streets of London, which is a much safer place for their incarceration.

"It is only right that I pay tribute to the team of detectives who have diligently worked on this investigation and in particular Detective Constable Quinn Cutler who as the case officer has systematically and expertly readied the case for court, this result is a tribute to him and
all the officers who have worked on this investigation. They can be justly proud of removing these dangerous individuals from our streets."

The defendants will be sentenced at Kingston Crown Court on March 16th.

March 7, 2012