Assembly Member for Wandsworth & Merton visited local areas with Boris Johnson
After visiting local areas with Mayor Boris Johnson and the Home Secretary yesterday and meeting residents, councillors, shopkeepers,and police, I commend the great public spirit.
The looting and rioting over the last few days is pure criminality. There is no excuse or rationale for this. Those responsible will be caught and brought before the courts to answer for their actions.
· We will work with local communities to make sure we deal with these individuals. Photographs are being published and we are urging Londoners to help identify those responsible for this mindless violence. You can find the pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/metropolitanpolice/
· Quick and decisive action by police means that many arrests have been made so far and the resources are being put in place to continue to police London effectively in the coming days
· We must remember that the vast majority of Londoners are appalled by this violence, as are most young Londoners. We are determined to make sure they can go about their normal business and live without fear of disruption and violence.
· Independent Custody Visitors have been making extra visits to custody suites across London to ensure that detainees are being properly treated and we are reassured that no problems have arisen to date.
· Please be patient with the police. All the properties and vehicles that have been damaged or destroyed need to be examined; to ensure they are structurally safe to be entered, but also because they are crime scenes and the police must be given time to gather evidence that will help bring people to justice.
· We must remember that the family of Mark Duggan has condemned the violence, which detracts from their search for answers.
We would urge to you work with the police and others to help communities recover and return to normal as soon as possible
Richard Tracey AM,
London Assembly Member for Wandsworth & Merton
August 10, 2011