Sun Reflecting Off Mirror Starts Wandsworth Warehouse Fire

Six fire engines called to the scene of the blaze at Haldane Place

Haldane Place office hit by fire. Picture: London Fire Brigade

A fire broke out in a Wandsworth warehouse this Sunday morning (15 July) after sunlight reflecting off a mirror set material alight.

Six fire engines and 35 firefighters and officers were called the blaze on Haldane Place. A security guard completing external checks saw smoke coming from the second floor windows and immediately called 999. Eight sprinkler heads went off in the room where the fire started and helped contain the damage and only a small section of the second floor was affected.

The Brigade was called at 9.14am and the fire was under control less than two hours later. Fire crews from Wandsworth, Tooting, Battersea, Clapham, Chelsea, and Mitcham fire stations attended. A woman left the premises before the arrival of the firefighters.

It is not known what material was set alight but the Fire Brigade are considering the possibility that it was the window blinds.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said, “The sun is especially strong at the moment but fires caused by refracted sunlight can happen all year round and are actually quite common.

"Our advice is to make sure that you keep mirrors, crystals, glass ornaments and other reflective items out of direct sunlight at all times.”

The Brigade’s top three sunlight safety tips are:

  • Keep mirrors and crystal or glass objects away from sunny sills and flammable materials
  • Fit at least one smoke alarm per floor and test them every week to make sure they work and the batteries are not flat
  • If you have a fire, close the door on the blaze, get out stay out and call the Brigade

July 18, 2018